While motorhomes offer a comfortable way to travel, they can also be noisy, especially when it comes to engine noise. If you’ve spent any amount of time in the front seats of a gas-powered Class A motorhome you know how loud it can get. Motorhome Doghouse Cover Insulation is a must to get rid of some of the noise. The huge V-8 or V-10 engines of these machines produce a lot of sound while screaming down the highway. And if you need to talk to your partner you’ll be screaming too! This is where sound dampening comes in. In this article, we’ll walk you through the steps of installing sound dampening to your motorhome doghouse.
This post contains affiliate links. As a participant in Amazon Associates and various affiliate programs, we are compensated when qualifying purchases are made through our referral links at no additional cost to you. Full Disclosure
What is the Doghouse?
The terminology “doghouse” in the context of a motorhome pertains to the space in the vehicle that accommodates its mechanical components, including the engine and transmission. This area is located between the driver’s and passenger’s seats and is elevated in structure, resembling a miniature version of a canine’s shelter. The doghouse, as it is aptly called, functions as the housing compartment for the crucial systems responsible for the motorhome’s mobility.
Why sound dampening is important
Sound dampening is important for a motorhome doghouse because the engine and transmission produce a significant amount of noise and vibration that can be uncomfortable for passengers. The noise can also make it difficult to hold conversations or enjoy entertainment while traveling.
By installing sound-dampening materials in the motorhome doghouse, you can significantly reduce the amount of noise and vibration that enters the passenger compartment, making for a more comfortable and enjoyable driving experience.
Overall, sound dampening is a worthwhile investment for any gas motorhome owner looking to improve the comfort and enjoyment of their travels.
Before we dive into the installation process, it’s important to understand the different types of soundproofing materials available. Some of the most popular materials include:
- Sound-deadening mats – We used Kilmat on our motorhome another brand we see a lot of people use is Dynamat
- Aluminum Foil Tape – Tape is needed to cover the seams
Other materials that can be used on your doghouse.
Each material has its own pros and cons, and it’s important to choose the right one for your motorhome doghouse. We went with the Sound-deadening mats as they are easy to work with, work well and have good reviews.
This job required some basic tools that most people have with them already.
- Screwdriver (Our Doghouse needs a Phillips #2 Screwdriver to remove the four screws holding it down.)
- Utility Scissors to cut the materials (Worked great for cutting the mat and foil tape)
- Sound Deadener Wheel Roller (For rolling the mat onto the dog house smoothing out any air bubbles)
Before you begin installing the soundproofing materials, it’s important to prepare your doghouse. Here are the steps you should take:
- Thoroughly clean the doghouse to ensure there’s no dust or debris that may affect the soundproofing process.
- Remove any existing insulation to make room for the new materials. I don’t know what kind of glue they used to put on the crappy aluminum bubble wrap insulation but it wouldn’t come off in some places so we had to install the Kilmat over it. It worked out fine.
- Seal any gaps or holes in the doghouse using weatherstripping or caulk.
Now that your doghouse is prepped, it’s time to install the soundproofing materials. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
- The Kilmat we used came in a box with 36 sqft more than enough to do our doghouse multiple times.
- Start by planning how you will lay the mats down to save yourself time in cutting too many pieces.
- Peel the backing off of the insulation mat and stick it to your desired location. Lay the whole sheets first then go back and piece in the ones that need cut.
- As you are laying the mats use a roller to ensure no air bubbles are present.
- Continue cutting, peeling, lying down, and rolling mats until the whole area is covered.
- Use Aluminum Foil Tape to cover the seems.
- Install another layer if you wish. We put on a second layer of the mat for more sound dampening. Do as many layers as you wish if you have room.
Is it Quieter?
While we didn’t use a sound meter to see how many decibels the insulation reduced, we could definitely tell the difference on our first trip. We weren’t having to yell at each other over the sound of the engine. It’s not totally quiet but is a huge improvement over the factory-installed aluminum bubble wrap.
Maintenance and Upkeep
To ensure the soundproofing materials continue to work effectively, it’s important to conduct regular maintenance and upkeep. Check the materials periodically for any signs of wear and tear and replace them as needed. You can also use a vacuum cleaner to remove any dust or debris that may have accumulated on the surface.
Is soundproofing necessary for a motorhome doghouse? It’s not necessary, but it can significantly improve your traveling experience by reducing noise levels and increasing comfort.
Can I install soundproofing materials myself? Yes, with the right tools and materials, you can install soundproofing materials yourself. However, if you’re not confident in your abilities, it’s best to hire a professional.
How much does it cost to soundproof a motorhome doghouse? The cost of soundproofing a motorhome doghouse varies depending on the size of the doghouse and the materials used. On average, you can expect to spend between $50 to $200. It cost us about $75 in total.
Will soundproofing affect the performance of my motorhome engine? No, soundproofing materials are designed to reduce noise levels without affecting the performance of your motorhome engine.
How often should I replace soundproofing materials? It depends on the quality of the materials and the level of wear and tear. Generally, you shouldn’t need to replace them. But check the materials yearly and replace them as needed.
Installing sound dampening in your motorhome doghouse is a great way to reduce noise and improve your overall traveling experience. By using the right materials and following the installation instructions carefully, you can achieve optimal results. We hope this article has provided you with the knowledge you need to successfully install sound dampening in your motorhome doghouse.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article. If you have any comments or questions on insulating your doghouse or anything else RV-related let us know below.
We do all our trip planning with RV Life Trip Wizard. RV Trip Planning Made Simple! RV Life Trip Wizard is by far the best RV route planner we’ve found. Get your 7 day Free Trial